[ARIN-consult] discounting registration fees for IPv6 assignments

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 29 22:51:24 EDT 2012

On Oct 28, 2012, at 10:08 PM, Jesse D. Geddis <jesse at la-broadband.com> wrote:

> Perhaps John could shed some light as to how these numbers have been arrived at.

Jesse -

ARIN's core registry services could reasonably be considered proportional
to the number of prefixes served; costs which are comparable between IPv4
prefixes and IPv6 prefixes, and most definitely not proportional to the
number of IP addresses. Note also that core registry operations costs are
smaller than the policy & registry development costs (which benefits all
customers.)

A cost breakdown was presented last year at the ARIN 28 meeting in Philly -
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVIII/PDF/friday/curran_cost_breakdown.pdf)

> A way to find this out is to compare customers. In 2012 LA Broadband
> generated a total of 2 ARIN tickets. How much did that cost ARIN? How many
> tickets, on average, did Orgs with over say 5 million IP's create? How
> much time did they take to resolve? What is the dollar amount associated
> with maintaining those Orgs vs my 2 tickets? Did my org really cost 100x
> more per IP to maintain? My fee last year was $2,250. Did two tickets cost
> that? Unlikely.

You are likely to be surprised how few tickets many larger organizations
generate, as their personnel are often more experienced interfacing with
ARIN.  Finally, it's important to remember that tickets are generally
related to requests for issuance or transfer of number resources, and
wouldn't result in costs actually proportional to number of IP addresses
involved.

FYI,