[ARIN-consult] discounting registration fees for IPv6 assignments

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 03:42:55 EDT 2012

On 10/29/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2012, at 10:08 PM, Jesse D. Geddis <jesse at la-broadband.com>
> wrote:

I wonder if the number of recent IPv6 requests is actually significant?

> Jesse -
> ARIN's core registry services could reasonably be considered proportional
> to the number of prefixes served; costs which are comparable between IPv4
> prefixes and IPv6 prefixes, and most definitely not proportional to the
> number of IP addresses. Note also that core registry operations costs are

This is what I would expect... it makes sense in this case, the
shorter the average prefix length that a particular block of addresses
is carved into,  the lower ARIN's registry cost should be, with  fewer
allocations on average for that group of addresses.     The  tiered
fee schedule should be better aligned to the ARIN registry costs than
per-IP-address based pricing.

For the allocation of prefixes longer than /20, the NRPM specifies
"They will be from a block reserved for that purpose.

Which suggests that the allocation of smaller blocks (longer prefixes)
may have a greater per-prefix and per-IP administrative overhead,
because ARIN likely has to  find and reserve  specific blocks from its
pool well in advance, to dedicate to the purpose of allocating long
prefixes.

While with shorter prefixes,  ARIN's registry should have the
flexibility to apply any packing of allocations into the  unreserved
free pool of choice  that will efficiently fit.

--
-JH