[ARIN-consult] Fee restructuring

Christoph Blecker cblecker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:59:27 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Andrew Dul - andrew.dul
<andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
> On 2012-10-25 14:35, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> This fee restructuring places a number of incentives in the exactly
>> wrong direction.
>>
>> 1. In many cases (especially end users), their fees are doubled if
>> they adopt IPv6. At the very least, end users should not be made to
>> pay additional annual fees as a penalty for adopting IPv6. If
>> anything, I would suggest that ARIN consider a structure like this:
>

> In general, I support the new fee schedule.  There is one area which I
> believe needs consideration.  For the smallest end-user (1 IPv4, 1 ASN, 1
> IPv6) their registration fees are  going to triple from $100 to $300.  I
> don't believe this is the message that ARIN wants to send to the world at
> large and these smallest organizations.  I don't know the number of orgs
> that are subject to this fee increase but my guess is that this is a
> significant number of end-user orgs.
>
> My suggestion for end-users would be the first 3 records per org-id are
> $100, then $100 for additional records.
>
> Andrew

I agree with Andrew's views, although I would suggest perhaps 5
records per ORG. Think about it this way.. Small ORG, they instead
have 2 existing IPv4 blocks (which is common), and an ASN. We want
them to encourage them to *adopt* IPv6. In this case, the IPv6 block
would be record number 4, and therefor double the annual maintenance
that the ORG is responsible for.

Cheers,
Christoph