[ARIN-consult] Hello / database restructuring/updating

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Jan 29 16:51:32 EST 2009

> So, a question would be: is RPSL, as it's defined in
> RFC-2622, along with some RPC or CGI interface an option to you?
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2622.txt

I think that an important feature of ARIN's whois database schema, should be that it can easily produce RPSL format so that there is no technical barrier to interworking with the other RIRs. This would extend to a scenario where one could send all whois queries to ARIN, and if the answer is in RIPE's directory, ARIN can retrieve it and pass it along in an answer that is structured identically to answers coming from ARIN's directory. And this should be reciprocal so that someone in Europe can query RIPE, they pass it to ARIN, get the answer and send it to their client in correct RIPE RPSL format.

Let's reuse whatever we can, avoid reinventing the wheel unless there is a high likelihood that other RIRs will adopt the new wheel, and try to use off-the-shelf FOSS sofware components as much as possible.

--Michael Dillon