transfer policy

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Tue May 16 14:24:57 EDT 2000

> 	Pre merger there is a quiet period where the two sides are not allowed to
> share engineering information.   The transfer of space may be a high
> priority to the company to show they are 'just one company now'.  A transfer
> request may go in before all of the info below is known and certainly before
> major engineering decisions are made about how to merge the two networks.
> If we allow the transfer to happen day one with proof of merger, we give the
> two companies more time to gather this info and they can interface with ARIN
> the next time they need space.   I see no reason to take up engineering
> resources on both sides twice in a period of less than three months.  This
> makes life more difficult for all involved.  As a member of the ARIN
> community I trust two ISP's with a history with ARIN to justify the space
> from the merger at the next time they go in to request IP space for the now
> primary maintainer ID.

Attempting to perform this transfer before that quiet period
would most definitely violate that rules associated with that
quiet period.  IANAL, but the whole reasoning behind the quiet
period (formally known as the HSR Act) is to keep the two
companies from sharing information or performig actions that
could put either at a disadvantage if the merger falls through.

As for this "History with ARIN" thing, well, since being a member
for a year, month, or even day could be defined as history, I think
it's clearly a rathole altogether.

-danny