Rebuttal to Mr. Weisberg's insinuations

Michael Gersten michael at STB.INFO.COM
Fri Jul 18 19:50:00 EDT 1997

>At 11:42 PM 7/17/97 -0500, Robert T. Nelson wrote:
>>
>>It
>>confuses the process if you have more than one entity assigning space in
>>the Original Place. After that entity assigns space to functions
>>(downstream registries in charge of how *they* allocate space) they can do
>>with their space as they please.
>
>There are 3 registries operating now, APNIC, NSI/InterNIC and RIPE.
>
>They all allocate space from the same 32 bit range of IP numbers.
>
>The coordination is done by IANA.

At the risk of sounding like another Jim,

Which /8's is IANA giving to ARIN to allocate,

Who will manage .arpa (currently handled by IANA)

Who will manage the /8's that are not allocated to APNIC, RIPE,
ARIN, NSI/InterNIC, etc, if IANA is no longer around.

If the whole point of ARIN is to replace IANA, then say so.
If ARIN is not going to replace IANA, but only the north american
NSI/InterNIC operations, then why is (my understanding is that it
will be) ARIN's policies different than those of APNIC/RIPE?
[Alternatively, if ARIN is to replace NSI/InterNIC, then why is
ARIN's policies different than NSI/InterNIC's policies?]

		Michael