YOUR KIDDING RIGHT?

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Wed Jan 22 17:22:55 EST 1997

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Jeff Binkley wrote:

> Lastly, if I understand the proposal correctly, ...
> ... and under the new proposal ARIN becomes a subsidiary
> of Network Solution, not a standalone entity ?

Nope. ARIN would be a standalone non-profit organization that is owned by
no-one and controlled by its members.

> I can't believe that the current charges for domain registrations aren't
> enough to fund the NIC.

The point is that we want to break off the IP allocation from the domain
name registration function. There is really no connection between the two
except the historical accident that the NSF contracted with one company to
do both jobs back when the net was a whole lot smaller and the NSFnet
was *THE* backbone.

> I can believe they have major billing and
> accounting problems; having just experienced them myself. This to me is
> at the heart of the management problem I was referring to.

These problems are almost entirely with the domain registration function
of the Internic and not with the IP allocation function.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049