YOUR KIDDING RIGHT?

Jeff Binkley jeff.binkley at asacomp.com
Wed Jan 22 08:17:00 EST 1997

DR>Jeff,

DR>>So are we saying that by creating yet another beauracracy and
DR>pumping >more money into it, that this will solve a management
DR>problem ?

DR>Management problem?  What management problem?  The problem is that
DR>the subsidies that have funded the IP allocation and registration
DR>service are going away and people will have to pay the costs
DR>associated with that service instead of relying on the US government
DR>or people registering domain names.

That's not what some folks are arguing in here.  Certain folks are
saying the main thrust of this proposal is to manage address space,
which in my opinion is either a management or engineering problem, not a
business problem.  If you are correct, then the question becomes how
much funding is being lost ?  Folks are throwing around all kinds of
numbers for creating a new organization, do we know what it currently
costs ?  Lastly, if I understand the proposal correctly, Network
Solutions are the ones who currently fund this function (with subsidies
from other sources) and under the new proposal ARIN becomes a subsidiary
of Network Solution, not a standalone entity ?   If true then do they
become able to break even with the revenues from domain registrations by
shedding this responsibility and funding it through ARIN ?

I can't believe that the current charges for domain registrations aren't
enough to fund the NIC.  I can believe they have major billing and
accounting problems; having just experienced them myself. This to me is
at the heart of the management problem I was referring to.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42 9999