YOUR KIDDING RIGHT?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jan 22 17:49:31 EST 1997

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:22:55 PST, you said:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Jeff Binkley wrote:
> > I can believe they have major billing and
> > accounting problems; having just experienced them myself. This to me is
> > at the heart of the management problem I was referring to.
>
> These problems are almost entirely with the domain registration function
> of the Internic and not with the IP allocation function.

Well, there's no billing problems with the IP allocation function
because they don't currently bill for it. (Only half a smiley here).

However, it *does* behoove us to understand exactly *why* the NSI
people are having problems, lest ARIN go down the same path.  I don't
think anybody seriously claims that the NSI billing situation is not
severely sub-optimal.  I don't see much wisdom in proceeding with a
second similar endeavor until we understand why the first one had
problems.

And yes, I *know* that "domaain names and IP addresses are *TOTALLY*
different, so obviously there will be *no* screwups with sending bills
to the wrong people, or turning IP allocations off for non-payment, or
any of the other problems that the DNS side of the fence has had.

Right?  If you agree, send me private e-mail, I have some GREAT
investment opportunities to tell you about... ;)

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer