Bulk WHOIS access, was: Policy Proposal 2001-7

Lee Howard lhoward at uu.net
Fri Oct 5 09:15:15 EDT 2001

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Shane Kerr wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:55:04 +0200
> From: Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org>
> To: Lee Howard <lhoward at uu.net>
> Cc: dbwg at arin.net
> Subject: Bulk WHOIS access, was: Policy Proposal 2001-7
>
> On 2001-10-01 10:44:40 -0400, Lee Howard wrote:
> >
> >   Proposal: It is proposed ARIN provide a bulk copy of WHOIS output,
> >             minus point of contact information, on the ARIN FTP site
> >             for download by any organization that wishes to obtain the
> >             data providing they agree to ARIN's acceptable use policy
> >             that would accompany the data.
> > ---
> >
> > The only difference I see between the current practice and the
> > proposed policy is that access will not be limited to those conducting
> > research.  Can anyone provide an example of a legitimate non-research
> > use for bulk WHOIS, or other rationale for this proposed policy?
>
> <snip>valid questions about public access to Whois data removed</snip>
> <snip>concern about Whois load removed</snip>
>
> In 1990 I probably wouldn't have thought of a legitmate use for putting
> hundreds of IP addresses on a single server, but people running hosting
> services need to do it every day.  The point being that all because two
> dozen or so people actually paying attention to this discussion can't
> think of any "legitimate non-research use" doesn't means that there
> isn't any.

Fair enough.  I'm conservative--I don't like changing policy unless
there's a reason to do so.

> I guess I'm not sure why you are opposed to somebody getting a list that
> consists of company name, IP address, DNS server lists, and assignment
> dates.  Perhaps if you could clarify your concern...?

I don't object, I was really more interested in the reason for the
policy change.  I asked, "Why?" and you said, "Why not?"  Go for it.

> --
> Shane
> The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anyone else.

Heck, the opinions I express aren't always *mine* so you couldn't
expect me to be representing anyone else.

Lee