Bulk WHOIS access, was: Policy Proposal 2001-7

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Fri Oct 5 02:55:04 EDT 2001

On 2001-10-01 10:44:40 -0400, Lee Howard wrote:

>   Proposal: It is proposed ARIN provide a bulk copy of WHOIS output,
>             minus point of contact information, on the ARIN FTP site
>             for download by any organization that wishes to obtain the
>             data providing they agree to ARIN's acceptable use policy
>             that would accompany the data.
> ---
>
> The only difference I see between the current practice and the
> proposed policy is that access will not be limited to those conducting
> research.  Can anyone provide an example of a legitimate non-research
> use for bulk WHOIS, or other rationale for this proposed policy?

<snip>valid questions about public access to Whois data removed</snip>
<snip>concern about Whois load removed</snip>

Who could know?  Running a mirror for speed?  Investigating if any of
your competitors is getting space unfairly?  Building tables to be used
in commercial products (IDS, firewalls,etc.)?  Gathering evidence for a
court case?

In 1990 I probably wouldn't have thought of a legitmate use for putting
hundreds of IP addresses on a single server, but people running hosting
services need to do it every day.  The point being that all because two
dozen or so people actually paying attention to this discussion can't
think of any "legitimate non-research use" doesn't means that there
isn't any.

I guess I'm not sure why you are opposed to somebody getting a list that
consists of company name, IP address, DNS server lists, and assignment
dates.  Perhaps if you could clarify your concern...?

--
Shane
The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anyone else.