RWHOIS proposal

Lee Howard lhoward at uu.net
Thu Oct 4 10:55:09 EDT 2001

We've begun evaluating using RWHOIS.  Among the advantages I see are
instant updates, local access control, restricted access for bulk
queries, privacy protection, and if I'm lucky, a chance to integrate
RWHOIS and IRR.

The problems I'm having are that I will have to modify the code to
query an existing SQL database, change the output to RPSL, and cost-
justify the work to the business.  I think ARIN can help me with the
last point.

Presumably, organizations using RWHOIS create less work on ARIN's
resources, whether staff, servers, or bandwidth.  In my point of view,
organizations who create more work for ARIN should pay more (e.g.,
companies with multiple networks, each of which is considered
separately).  A corollary to that would be that organizations who
generate less work for ARIN should pay less.

I would like advice from ARIN staff on the proposition that RWHOIS
users require less work from them and their network and servers.  If
that is the case, I would like to propose that organizations using
RWHOIS instead of SWIP be assessed lower annual fees.  I ask for a
recommendation from ARIN of how much lower, proportional to the
reduced work.

So, ultimately, if the membership agrees that RWHOIS is a Good Thing,
this would create an incentive for them to use it.  If it creates less
work for ARIN, so much the better.

Thanks,

Lee Howard