Administrative contacts | "one" or "one or many"?

Michael O'Neill michaelo at arin.net
Thu Jan 4 15:04:58 EST 2001

Hello!

So far no comments on this list have addressed the singular
administrative contact:

| From: ginny listman <ginny at arin.net>
| Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:08:54 -0500 (EST)

| There will be the following types of POCs, with the following
| requirements:

| Administrative Contact (AD) - one and only one, mandatory for an
| Organization, optional for AS or Network

Does this mean that people agree that an organization like
"EXAMPLE.COM" would have or need only one Administrative Contact?

Administrative Contact:
      Smith, Jo  jsmith at example.com
      EXAMPLE.COM
      100 Pine Street
      Melvindale, CA 90292
      US
      +1-415-823-9358

or

Administrative Contact:
      Example administrators  managers at example.com
      EXAMPLE.COM
      100 Pine Street
      Melvindale, CA 90292
      US
      +1-415-823-9333

....or would some organizations make use of an
administration contact specification as

"Administrative Contact (AD) - one or many, mandatory for an
Organization, mandatory for ASes or Network w/o an Organization AD,
optional otherwise"

Would some ARIN registrants want to be able to specify (instead of
blend into one role account) a subset of their employees as the
administrative contacts?  Example.com could then optionally set the
administration information to:

Administrative Contact:
      Smith, Jo  jsmith at example.com
      EXAMPLE.COM
      Melvindale, CA 90292
      US
      +1-415-823-9358

Administrative Contact:
      Jones, Pat  pj at example.com
      100 Pine Street
      Melvindale, CA 90292
      US
      +1-415-823-9330

Administrative Contact:
      Baker, Chris  chrisb at example.com
      100 Pine Street
      Melvindale, CA 90292
      US
      +1-415-823-9331

In case Jo Smith left EXAMPLE.COM under suspicious circumstances, Pat
Jones and Chris Baker could make any necessary ARIN database
modifications on behalf of EXAMPLE.COM.

For an AS, would registered organizations want bgp at example.com to
respond to one subset of administrative requests and
peering at example.com to reply to peering requests?  Some entries in the
ftp://ftp.arin.net/pub/rr/arin.db file have specified more than one
"admin-c" so these organizations may feel restricted if converted and
forced to make a change to one administrative contact.

I would guess--since no one has mentioned anything on the list--that
most organizations would maintain a managers at example.com or
admin at example.com e-mail list and add and substract administrative
contact(s) as necessary. Would registrants make use of the other
options if Administrative Contacts could be set as "one or many,
mandatory for an Organization, mandatory for ASes or Network w/o an
Organization AD, optional otherwise"?

--Michael J. O'Neill