DB schema

Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet woeber at cc.univie.ac.at
Thu Jan 4 11:35:49 EST 2001

=> o What are you going to do about the gazillion non-CIDR networks that
=>   exist today?  There are a lot of networks in the ARIN database that
=>   are (for example) a /24 and the subsequent /25.  I suggest that you
=>   should store networks as start-end in the database, even if you remove
=>   this from the templates and/or web forms.  On output, you can convert
=>   to between 1 to 31 CIDR networks, but it's probably simplier to just
=>   store start-end ranges when storing the addresses.
=>
=Storing in cidr or range has been discussed in depth here at ARIN.  CIDR
=has become the way of the world.  RSG works in CIDR.  If an allocation is
=more than one cidr block, that's okay, it will be represented as multiple
=cidr blocks.

  I'm Just curious because "we" use the range notation...

  What is the benefit/advantage of going CIDR _for the DB_, and thus
  ending up with more than 1 object for the same net (e.g. 1 /26 plus
  1 /27 and maybe 1 /28) and all the potential DB inconsistencies
  (different net names, different contacts, multiple answers for 1 query)
  as compared to a more "traditional" approach?

=> o Am I the only one who hates templates?  ;)
=>
=
=In my research, I'd have to say, no...

  I tend to agree :-)