DB schema

Catherine Murphy cathym at arin.net
Thu Jan 4 11:53:42 EST 2001

> shane> o Why use start and number of AS rather than start-end for AS
> shane>   numbers?

ginny> Since this was Cathy's idea, Cathy do you want to answer this, or
ginny> discuss doing the start-end rather that number?

I proposed to use start+number of AS's in order to be consistent with the
proposed method to store networks, i.e., network + CIDR. However, upon
reflection, I agree that start-end is the better way to store the
information -- it eliminates the need for calculations to find an AS.

> shane> o What's a maintainer?  Please just kill this beast, or at least
> shane>   define it in a meaningful way.  :(

ginny> This is another one for Cathy to answer.

You're right. Why have a separate table? I think we should just have a
flag in the org table to indicate whether they are permitted to "allocate"
or not.  No maintainer; no separate table; just a maintainer_flag in the
organization information.

Cathy