phone types]

J. Scott Marcus smarcus at genuity.com
Thu Jan 4 11:39:24 EST 2001

At 11:28 01/04/2001 -0500, ginny listman wrote:
>Just a repeat of what I said earlier:
>
>We (ARIN) would like to format US/CA phone number in the format of
>+1-999-999-9999.  In other words, drop all initial 0's and 1's, and then
>there should be 10 digits.  Then format it.  If there is non-digits, they
>are lost.  If there are not exactly 10 digits, it's an error.  I should
>also mention, extensions would be included on a separate line.  This would
>be a free-form line to include up to 10 chars.
>
>As far as non-US/CA numbers, we haven't gotten that far.  (But we will get
>there.)
>
>There was some brief discussion as to whether is should be ".", "-" or " "
>to separate the numbers.  Do we need to revisit?

I would argue that the format should be consistent with that used by the
other RIRs, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

We just heard that RIPE accepts whitespace, dash or period within numbers.
Thus, your proposed format of +1-999-999-9999 appears to satisfy that
criterion.

Cheers,
- Scott