phone types]

John K. Doyle, Jr. jkd at cyberspace.org
Thu Jan 4 23:28:48 EST 2001

Ginny,

I don't think my original post ever made it to the list. To reiterate:

You should probably take a look at the ITU (formerly CCITT) standard for
"directory numbers." The last time I ever looked at it, it was known as
"E.163" but that's evidently been superseded. So visit http:/www.itu.int/
(See, the .int domain DOES exist :)) and search on "E.164" . That will
return a link to an abstract of the 15-page document on the subject.

One thing to worry about that nobody here has mentioned is possible
changes to the U.S. NPA-NXX standard. We shouldn't get into that here.
Battles on the subject rage regularly in Telecom Digest and other places.
They make "RFC1918 Wars" look tame by comparison. However, the possibility
exists that the "10 digit" U.S. standard might change in the not too
distant future.

John