[arin-ppml] ARIN discontinuing DNSSEC capability to legacy holders

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Oct 5 21:05:46 EDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:05 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> In message <03730720-29E1-4CDE-8EC6-737863D85A47 at netconsonance.com>,
> Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
>
> >Refusing to authenticate resources used by holders who cannot be
> >validated is a feature, not a bug.
> >
> >My fees (and everyone elses) pay ARIN to validate and certify the
> >resource holders.
>
> I have no dog in this fight.  I just have a simple (naive?) question:
>
> Would it be possible for ARIN to establish some kind of de minimis
> validation/authentication fee, enough to cover its costs, but not
> involving the acceptance of a complete LRSA?

I'm not sure a de minimis fee would be appropriate, the users without
contracts represent a higher legal risk to ARIN. I believe this risk is
probably as much or more of an issue as the cost of the service themselves.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952