[arin-ppml] ARIN discontinuing DNSSEC capability to legacy holders

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 5 21:12:10 EDT 2018

On 5 Oct 2018, at 2:05 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible for ARIN to establish some kind of de minimis
> validation/authentication fee, enough to cover its costs, but not
> involving the acceptance of a complete LRSA?
>
> (As I said, I have no dog in this fight.  I'm just wondering if there
> is any middle ground that would be acceptable to all.)

Ron -

This is likely to be discussed by the ARIN Board in 2019, as a result of the ongoing review of legal hurdles related to RPKI services.

It’s premature to speculate whether such is a reasonable mechanism without a detailed legal analysis – it wouldn’t be the fee so much as the associated services agreement that would likely be the challenging part (i.e. the clause that’s been cited as a hurdle is the disclaimer of property rights, and a reversal in this area would have significant implications for the community’s ability to have any maintenance fees or community-developed policy applied to these address blocks.)

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO