[ppml] Reducing unnecessary BGP announcements, was: Re: IPv4 address and routing slot markets

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Oct 28 11:25:52 EDT 2007

On 27 okt 2007, at 16:58, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> What business does ARIN or APNIC or RIPE have in allowing or
>> disallowing
>> any kind of route announcements? It is not in the charter of ARIN
>> or in
>> the terms of reference of RIPE. Is there a significant number of ISPs
>> who are about to sign some kind of routing treaty?

> that's what tli advised us to do during his ARIN XX preso in ABQ.
> as far
> as i could tell, the ISPs in the room didn't immediately run out
> into the
> hall to discuss details.  but that doesn't mean we oughtn't discuss
> it,
> since the predicted backpressure-free market mechanics don't seem
> wonderful.

Sometimes all it takes is someone with a vision and a route filter.

How about this: out of the weekly routing table report and the RIR
allocation record, a filter is created that removes unnecessarily
unaggregated prefixes. The filter is sorted in order of decreasing
number of prefixes filtered out. People then install the first X lines
for whatever value of X best suits them.

This will generate a lot of pressure on the worst offenders to do
better.