[ppml] Reducing unnecessary BGP announcements, was: Re: IPv4 address and routing slot markets

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Oct 29 14:34:15 EDT 2007

I don't think so.  De facto standards on the Internet tend to be driven by
the biggest networks with the deepest pockets.  For example, take e-mail
SPF records.  Until AOL started blocking multiple pieces of mail from
mailservers that didn't have an SPF, nobody really paid attention to SPF.
Once AOL started doing that, a whole bunch of ISPs out there suddenly
put SPF records into their DNS.

I don't know but I strongly suspect the worst offenders in any such filter
you might construct are going to be precisely the groups that set
de facto policy, ie: the biggest networks with the deepest pockets.

Ted