[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Apr 27 04:50:14 EDT 2006

Thus spake "Arin Archive" <arin at sprint.net>
> I am against this policy.
> It appears that most people at the last want to make a policy for policy's
> sake.

IMHO, we're trying to meet a real business need that ARIN members and the
community at large are faced with.  I think you're right in a sense that
many folks don't think 2005-1 is the ideal policy, but that's not quite the
same as saying we're doing it for the sake of doing it.

In the real world, one often has to choose the least bad from among many bad
alternatives (and no good ones).  Consensus is that 2005-1 is less bad than
having no PIv6 policy at all.

> As others have mentioned, historically temporary solutions aren't. I
> believe that we are making the same mistakes as we did when v4
> was first rolled out with a /48 out of a  reserved /44 per PI request.
> How large is this PI swamp that is being proposed?

Please define "swamp".  If each AS gets a single PIv6 prefix, is that really
a swamp?  One of the major problems with v4 was that a single org would get
dozens (or hundreds) of separate blocks; we're definitely not repeating that
mistake.  We're also not repeating the mistake of handing out blocks without
any sort of oversight or "renewal" process.

There's no explicit limit on the number of prefixes to be assigned under
this policy, but the intent is that it be no more than the number of ASNs
assigned.  At worst, this means PIv6 will present an order of magnitude
fewer routes than PIv4; i.e. as long as v4 is still alive, v6 will not be
the problem.

In short, we may be making a mistake here, but if so it's very different
from the mistakes we made with v4.

> If 2005-1 is repealed, how will the space be returned without litigation?
> Odds are that it won't and we'll be forced with it with no recourse.

If PIv6 space becomes a serious operational concern to folks in the DFZ,
they can simply filter the entire space since it's to be from a distinct
block from LIR allocations.  This is another major difference from PIv4,
where ISPs had no way of knowing what was PA and what was PI.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that if 2005-1 were repealed, ARIN could refuse
to renew PIv6 assignments and they'd all be gone within a year.  There's
even other language in the NRPM that states ARIN can, in extreme cases,
revoke assignments and/or allocations that violate policy, so this isn't
something new.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin