[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) jason.schiller at mci.com
Thu Apr 27 18:02:03 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> We'd prefer a better solution, really, but the IETF has failed to provide us
> one.  Since multihoming is a fundamental business requirement for
> enterprises and PI is the only way to make multihoming work today, either
> enterprises get PIv6 or v6 doesn't happen.
>
> Please keep in mind that we don't like this situation any more than you do.

Yeah, we need an architectural solution.  Maybe complete seperation of
locator and ID???

> OTOH, one could say that large ISPs don't care about the problems that PA
> space causes enterprises.  2005-1 is an attempt to find a compromise that's
> acceptable to both sides.

Large ISPs have been accused of liking the provider lock-in too...  I
personally am no in that camp.  I think IPv6 needs an architectural
approach to solving PI and and multi-homing.  If we could completely
seperate locator and ID with something like 8+8/GSE, have DNS only reflect
the ID, and have the network map one or more routing goops to a site (Yes
I know this needs some protocol), and use only the low order bits for TCP
session termination and firewall filters.  Then we have solved both the
provider independant and multi-homing problem.

> OTOH, I don't see any ISPs standing up and saying they did some studies of
> what the routing table will look like in five to ten years, and have talked
> to our vendors and we _do_ think it will be a problem. [sic]

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/slides/grow-1.pdf
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/slides/grow-0.pdf
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/slides/grow-3.pdf

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.