[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Apr 27 11:17:34 EDT 2006

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> [large snip of a very good writeup]

Very good writeup from Owen indeed.

> ... That is if you really are that scared that your hardware can't
> handle it, and if it can't, something I said to a certain "Large
> Tier 1 Transit" before: UPGRADE! (and when the economics don't work
> out for you, you might want to start rethinking if you are in the
> wrong business or not ;)

Exactly.

About upgrades:

1. _If_ the growth of the routing table requires upgrades, it will
require upgrades from everyone. The argument "it would force me to
upgrade" is flawed because everyone is in the same boat. ISPs are a
competitive business and if some disappear in the process, be it; that's
in the nature of things.

2. Even if the growth of the routing table does not require upgrades
vendors _will_ discontinue products in order to move on. Part of it is
good reasons (changes in manufacturing process, difficult to find older
components, etc) and another part of it is pure greed but it does
happen. This entire industry is based on product life cycles.

Upgrades are part of life. They're part of what's called "cost of being
in business".

Michel.