[arin-discuss] [arin-announce] Community Consultation: Future Direction for the ARIN Fee Schedule

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 15 09:46:16 EDT 2014

On Oct 15, 2014, at 6:19 AM, Mike Horwath <drechsau at Geeks.ORG> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:21:59PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> ARIN exists because we wanted it to exist, because originally IP
>> blocks were assigned off a spiral notebook
>
> Well, I don't know about this 'we' thing you are talking about.
>
> I was in the business from 1993 to 2013 and I don't remember anyone
> asking me if I wanted ARIN (as it stands then, or today).

Mike -

That's probably the case... It was discussed at length on the nanog mailing
list and the the NANOG 11 meeting in October 1997 in Scottsdale (as well
as on quite a few other Internet mailing lists at the time), but there are
likely countless folks who did not hear of the change before it occurred.

> I have been on the outside for a year and the same kinds of bitching
> goes on, some new, some old.

Supporting frank and open communication among members (regarding ARIN's
accomplishments and challenges in fulfilling its mission) is critical
to ARIN's success.   While it can be repetitive at times, the list of
topics does evolve with progress made by the organization.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN