[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 8 10:23:22 EDT 2009

In a message written on Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:51:33AM -0500, Dan White wrote:
> For IPv6, we need to think in terms of *customers*, not IP addresses.
> Today, a /20 represents < 4096 customers, but probably represents much
> less than that. In IPv6, a /32 represents 65536 customers assuming /48
> assignments.

Actually, the IPv6 folks for years have been saying the correct way
to think is in terms of *subnets*.

With 2^64 hosts per subnet you never have to worry about running
out of addresses on a particular subnet.  Thus the entire question
becomes how many subnets do you need to divide things administratively?