[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri May 8 09:51:33 EDT 2009

Garry Dolley wrote:

> But that 8192 possible customers is if you only give 1 IP per
> customer (/32) and you have one huge subnet (the /20 itself); isn't
> that a bit unrealistic?  I mean customers will want /29, /28's,
> etc...  no?  Most of my customers request more than 1 IP.

I agree. I was trying to counter point the argument that a /32 IPv6
assignment was not sufficient for a current ISP with an IPv4 /20 (give
or take). Clearly it is more than sufficient in my scenario.

For IPv6, we need to think in terms of *customers*, not IP addresses.
Today, a /20 represents < 4096 customers, but probably represents much
less than that. In IPv6, a /32 represents 65536 customers assuming /48
assignments.

> If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of applications / equipment
> / use-cases are you running in your household that would require
> more than 256 subnets?

Me personally? I expect at some point my network to look roughly like:

a /64 for networking equipment/management
a /64 for trusted wireless connections
a /64 for friends'/visitors' wireless connections (maybe one per friend)
a /64 for mobile IPv6
a /64 for trusted wired connections (PCs)
a /64 for a server DMZ
a /64 for black boxes that I don't have OS level access to (toaters!).
Potentially multiple /64s for these, since I may want layer two
separation between them.

That's probably about as large as I can see getting.

But I'm not about to make any assumptions about other customers'
connections, or how they may desire to subnet in the next 50 years. I
have customers with multiple locations, which will require them to split
their /48.

- Dan