[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Fri May 8 15:38:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:51:33AM -0500, Dan White wrote:
> Garry Dolley wrote:
>
>> But that 8192 possible customers is if you only give 1 IP per
>> customer (/32) and you have one huge subnet (the /20 itself); isn't
>> that a bit unrealistic?  I mean customers will want /29, /28's,
>> etc...  no?  Most of my customers request more than 1 IP.
>

> I agree. I was trying to counter point the argument that a /32 IPv6
> assignment was not sufficient for a current ISP with an IPv4 /20 (give or
> take). Clearly it is more than sufficient in my scenario.
>
> For IPv6, we need to think in terms of *customers*, not IP addresses.
> Today, a /20 represents < 4096 customers, but probably represents much less
> than that. In IPv6, a /32 represents 65536 customers assuming /48
> assignments.

Ah, roger that.  Makes sense.

> Me personally? I expect at some point my network to look roughly like:
>
> a /64 for networking equipment/management
> a /64 for trusted wireless connections
> a /64 for friends'/visitors' wireless connections (maybe one per friend)
> a /64 for mobile IPv6
> a /64 for trusted wired connections (PCs)
> a /64 for a server DMZ
> a /64 for black boxes that I don't have OS level access to (toaters!).
> Potentially multiple /64s for these, since I may want layer two separation
> between them.
>
> That's probably about as large as I can see getting.
>
> But I'm not about to make any assumptions about other customers'
> connections, or how they may desire to subnet in the next 50 years. I have
> customers with multiple locations, which will require them to split their
> /48.

Yeah, I was just wondering.  > 256 subnets in a household seems like
a lot, but judging from your examples above and if you have to support
friends/visitors/others in your area, then that could quickly grow.
Understood.

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181