[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 10:49:19 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----

I don't understand.  Show that you've used 36.9% of your /56s, and
document your two-year requirements, and you get another (adjacent)
/32 (or whatever).  How is it different for large and small ISPs?

Note that NRPM says:

The exact size of the assignment is a local decision for the
LIR or ISP to make, using a minimum value of a /64 (when only one
subnet is anticipated for the end site) up to the normal maximum of
/48, except in cases of extra large end sites where a larger
assignment can be justified.
The following guidelines may be useful (but they are only
guidelines):
	* /64 when it is known that one and only one subnet is
needed
	* /56 for small sites, those expected to need only a few subnets
over the next 5 years.
	* /48 for larger sites
Lee