[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri May 8 07:40:11 EDT 2009

> But that 8192 possible customers is if you only give 1 IP per
> customer (/32) and you have one huge subnet (the /20 itself);

> The 65536 /48's within your /32 is more realistic given that
> a /48 is probably enough for most customers.  They can subnet
> all they like and still have a lot of addresses.  You could
> indeed sustain 65K customers in your /32 and give them all /48's.

This is a nice illustration of how much more efficient IPv6 is
even though you give a /48 per customer, and they use a whole
/64 per subnet regardless of the number of devices. We've moved
from a /32 being enough for one customer (maybe), to a /32 being
enough for an entire ISP. A lot of ISPs fall into the size range
where this is possible.

--Michael Dillon