[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Mike Berger berger at shout.net
Wed May 6 12:40:13 EDT 2009

My experience with U.S. ISP's is that "reasonable" doesn't enter into
the equation.  They like to charge a premium for anything beyond the
most basic service.  When you consider how ISP's connect their clients,
they could certainly offer single addresses to their customers.  We have
fiber from two providers.  A couple of years ago we'd be part of the
Sonet ring and de-mux on site.  Now we just have a fiber connection to a
transceiver that runs from their switch.

The original question wasn't about what was reasonable, but what U.S.
ISP's would most likely do.  They're not the same thing.