[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed May 6 13:09:09 EDT 2009

> The minimum reasonable size would be a /64 (a single address
> would be a /128).  It should be noted that a /64 doesn't
> entirely exclude customers from subnetting, but it will cause
> problems with router advertisement and other features.

Complicated!

> To me, the logical deployment seems to provide a /128
> address, and route a /64, /56, or /48 into that.

Even more complicated!

Why not keep it simple and just assign each customer a
/48. Or if you know that you are in risk of an HD ratio
problem then give consumer customers a /56.

Simple!

When new customers move into town and sign up with you,
their existinge equipment and home setup works just the
same as it always has, just the /48 prefix changes.

--Michael Dillon