[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Nov 2 14:12:06 EDT 2007

At 1:39 PM -0400 11/2/07, Dean Anderson wrote:
>VOIP products use protocols (TCP and UDP) that work over either IPv4 or
>IPv6, so there is nothing that VOIP developers really need to do with
>respect to ARIN.  The developers will follow VOIP protocol standards
>requested by customers

Interesting.   I wonder how the customers will come to ask for IPv6
support, if they are unaware of the upcoming issue?

>VOIP products that are implemented on platforms that
>support IPv6 and are deployed on networks that support IPv6, just work.

Semantically, there's not a lot of meaning to the above, as it's agreed
that products that support IPv6 and are deployed on IPv6 actually do
support IPv6.  Supporting IPv4 and IPv6 doesn't mean you can handle
communications between customers using both, and many service
providers aren't aware that they need to start asking for IPv6 support.

I spoke at the VON Theatre on this issue, and we had an active audience
of service providers with questions about all aspects of the transition.
In fact, the response was large enough that Pulvermedia has asked
that we get together with them and provide additional information
(on IPv4 depletion and IPv6) so that they can do outreach it via their
various channels.  Pulver does seem to know something about VoIP,
so forgive me if I'm more likely to listen to them and the thankful
attendees regarding the useful of ARIN's participation at VON.

/John