[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Fri Nov 2 17:17:28 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, John Curran wrote:

> At 1:39 PM -0400 11/2/07, Dean Anderson wrote:
> >VOIP products use protocols (TCP and UDP) that work over either IPv4 or
> >IPv6, so there is nothing that VOIP developers really need to do with
> >respect to ARIN.  The developers will follow VOIP protocol standards
> >requested by customers
>
> Interesting.   I wonder how the customers will come to ask for IPv6
> support, if they are unaware of the upcoming issue?

Why should they be aware of the issue?  End users don't care about the
underlying transport. My parents have email. They understand Outlook.
They don't know about IPv4. Why would they care about IPv6? VOIP users
are no different.  They don't care about transport. They care about
VOIP.  It could be VO<anything>.

> >VOIP products that are implemented on platforms that support IPv6 and
> >are deployed on networks that support IPv6, just work.
>
> Semantically, there's not a lot of meaning to the above, as it's agreed
> that products that support IPv6 and are deployed on IPv6 actually do
> support IPv6.

Indeed, you deleted the part with the most meaning: the part where, if
the platforms don't support IPv6 and the networks don't support IPv6,
then there is nothing the VOIP vendors can do. VOIP vendors aren't in a
position to influence IPv6. There is no reason to think they can. Its
just a junket.

> I spoke at the VON Theatre on this issue, and we had an active
> audience of service providers with questions about all aspects of the
> transition.

That's one talk. By one person---justifying just one plane ticket and
one night of hotel, and no booth.

> In fact, the response was large enough that Pulvermedia has asked that
> we get together with them and provide additional information (on IPv4
> depletion and IPv6) so that they can do outreach it via their various
> channels.  Pulver does seem to know something about VoIP, so forgive
> me if I'm more likely to listen to them and the thankful attendees
> regarding the useful of ARIN's participation at VON.

But in fact, you also paid for a booth, so it seems Pulvermedia is
highly motivated to have you spend more money, and do more "outreach".
That doesn't justify ARIN spending more. Jeff Pulver's interest here
doesn't seem to be technical. A staffed booth is not requirement to be
an invited speaker. Or is it?

		--Dean

617 344 9000