IP-Hosting Policy Specifics

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Thu May 3 10:21:31 EDT 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Jim Macknik wrote:

> I really think we need ARIN to really lay down what "technical
> justifications" there are for requesting IP space for IP-based hosting.

Jim:
  When I read the current "Policy" paragraph I don't get the impression
that ARIN is currently intending to "require" any particular technical
justification before granting address space, only that the ISP must supply
"their" technical justification for wanting to do so. This is supported by
the fact that it doesn't say "adequate techinical justification" and by
the second sentance which clearly makes this a data collection effort at
this time. I believe the difference between required justification and a
reasonable effort to apply address conservation techniques was the primary
stumbling point in coming up with a policy in the first place.
  If there is any intent to interpret this policy in such a way that ARIN
(or ISP's to their customers) are going to make a value judgement as to
whether a particular technical justification is acceptable or not, then I
think we need to get that out in the open now and do battle on each and
every one of those acceptable justifications. Just keep in mind where that
went when we tried to define that before.

Chuck Scott