ARIN Justified...

Bill Van Emburg bve at quadrix.com
Sat Jan 6 17:23:18 EST 2001

Clayton Lambert wrote:

> agreed.
>
> All aspects should be looked at.
>
> In the modified version of the policy that I am pushing for, the software
> that you use for billing could be considered a technical reason for
> justification...And if you requested IP space for this reason to me, and I
> denied the request, you should have the right to have the request escalated
> to ARIN for a decision...This would also protect the ISP from difficulties
> with further IP allocation requests from ARIN (if auditing by ARIN included
> the disputed assignment in their review).

I am VERY glad to hear you say this, and I would agree.  I was confused,
as you have often stated things such as:
----------------------------------
Subject: RE: ARIN Justified...
   Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:29:21 -0800
   From: "Clayton Lambert" <Clay at exodus.net>
     To: <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com>,
	 "'Mark Strother'" <marks at paconline.net>
    CC:  "'Virtual IP List'" <vwp at arin.net>

This hits the heart of this particular aspect of the issue:

ARIN IP policy should not be restricted due to vendor specific
limitations.
protocol limitations are a different story, but just because a
short-sited
vendor takes an easy path to market, for his product or service, ARIN
should
not conform a policy around his product limitation.

-clay
Your reference to "vendor specific limitations" not being allowable
exceptions had me thinking of circumstances such as Mr. Elliott's.

As you stated at the top of the first message, his situation would
warrant an exception.
--

				     -- Bill Van Emburg
				     	Quadrix Solutions, Inc.