Supporting ISPs with WebHosting Policy

L. James Prevo president at prevo.net
Wed Apr 18 14:13:23 EDT 2001

> > ARIN subscription holders who provide virtual webhosting
> services to their
> > customers, and organizations that request new address space
> from ARIN, are
> > strongly encouraged to employ a name-based system of webhosting -- a
> > current best practice method which enables multiple domains
> to be hosted
> > by a single IP address. In contrast, an IP-based system requires a
> > distinct IP number for each domain, which, where not
> required for the
> > technical basis of services offered, is an inefficient use
> of addresses.
> > Widespread use of the name-based system will significantly
> reduce the
> > number of addresses needed for webhosting and will help to
> conserve the
> > limited supply of available address space.
> >
> > POLICY
> >
> > When an ISP submits a request for IP address space to be
> used for IP-based
> > webhosting, they will supply technical justification for
> this practice. ARIN
> > will collect this data for review of the policy in light of
> operational
> > experience.

I have a server that has SSL (Secure Socket Layers)  For a web site
to have its own SSL the server requires the domain name or site
to have its own IP #, which is how SSL works.  What about sites
that have SSL and need their own IP #?

I am a budget web host, a majority of my sites are all named
based.  However I have sites that have thier own SSL and need
their own IP #.

How is ARIN going to handle this?

Is it being addressed?

L. James Prevo
President
The Prevo Network
http://www.prevo.net
"The Place Where We Unlock Your Doors to the Net!"

> --
> Stephen Elliott                 Harrison & Troxell
> Systems & Networking Manager    2 Faneuil Hall Marketplace
> Systems & Networking Group      Boston, Ma 02109
> (617)227-0494 Phone             (617)720-3918 Fax

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
http://www.netzero.net