Virtual WebHosting Policy Rewording

Stephen Elliott stephen at hnt.com
Wed Apr 18 10:22:23 EDT 2001

I am glad to see that there is some movement on this.  I agree with the
wording of this, but I would like to see something else; guidelines for
proper implementation.  One of the big problems with changes like this
is that in the past ARIN has kicked out the broad strokes of the policy,
but individual ISP's then had to craft policies around the framework
provided by ARIN.  This is ok in most circumstances, the ISP's for the
most part produce policies that are inline with ARIN and everyone is
happy.  Yet some ISP's take tend to take it upon themselves to go the
extra mile and prohibit practices that are completely inline with the
ARIN policies, and then blame ARIN for this, saying it is not them, it
is ARIN.  What I would suggest is a document that outlines what this
really means and how policies should be written at ISP's and others
responsible for distributing IP's.  I will gladly volunteer to help out
with a draft that can be read by the group and modify it based on
feedback.  It is my hope that we as a group can come up with a policy
that is used industry wide and applied equally... well I can hope can't
I!
-Stephen

--
Stephen Elliott                 Harrison & Troxell
Systems & Networking Manager    2 Faneuil Hall Marketplace