Policy Proposal 2001-3

Bob Hinden hinden at iprg.nokia.com
Wed Sep 26 19:46:17 EDT 2001

>   Proposal:  Extend the existing IPv4 micro-allocation policy for
>              exchange points, gTLDs, ccTLDs, RIRs, and ICANN to
>              include IPv6 micro-allocations.  ARIN's current IPv4
>              micro-allocation policy is documented at:
>
>              http://www.arin.net/regserv/ip-assignment.html

Some questions:

What would the specific IPv6 allocation be under this proposal?  The
current policy text (copied below) talks about a [IPv4] prefix no longer
than /24 that will not be announced on the Internet.  Is the proposal for
an IPv6 prefix of /64, /48, sometime else?

Why is a "micro-allocation" needed for IPv6?

IPv6 has unicast addresses of different scope (i.e., link-local and
site-local).  These might provide the desired functionality if global
reachability is not desired.

Perhaps the proposal could be fleshed out a bit.

Bob

p.s. I will be out tomorrow for Yom Kippur so won't be reading email until
Friday.

Micro-allocations

ARIN makes micro-allocations to infrastructures including public exchange
points, gTLDs, ccTLDs, RIRs, and ICANN, as well as all named servers of the
domain. A micro-allocation will be no longer than a /24 and will not be
announced on the public Internet. Exchange point operators must provide
justification for the allocation, including: connection policy, location,
other participants (minimum of two), ASN, and contact information. Endusers
receiving these micro-allocations will be charged according to ARIN's Fee
Schedule under the section titled Individual Address Space Assignment. This
policy does not preclude exchange point operators from requesting address
space under other policies.