Exchange point requests for IPv6 address space

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 10 05:05:06 EDT 2001

The statement on the RIPE mailing list was as follows;  this suggests
that /48's are considered in the exchange context.  I would expect the
meeting minutes to be available soon on the www.ripe.net site, which
should include some discussion details.

-----------------

Dear colleagues,

At RIPE 39 last week in Bologna the issue of IPv6 address assignments
to Internet Exchange Points was discussed (see also my mail from
24 April 2001 to these lists).

There was consensus to assign a /64 to an isolated Exchange Point.  It
was further suggested to assign the agreed standard assignment size to
a site (currently a /48) to a group of inter-connected Exchange
Points.

An Internet Exchange Point was defined as follows:

3 or more ASes and 3 or more separate entities attached to a LAN (the
same infrastructure) for the purpose of peering and more are welcome
to join.

The RIPE NCC proposes to proceed with assignments for Exchange Points
under the above policy.

Kind Regards,
Mirjam Kuehne
RIPE NCC