Last Call for Comment on New IPv6 Policy

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon May 7 16:49:36 EDT 2001

> As I read the proposed text, it references an Internet Draft:
> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-ipv6-addressing-recommenda
> tions-00.txt
>
> The earliest date on which the ARIN Board will take up this issue is at our
> meeting on July 27.  For a number of reasons, I would propose that the
> Board replace this reference, if appropriate, with the most suitable
> version of the specification available as of that date.  Reasons include:
>
> 1) It is, of course, poor practice in general to reference an I-D in any
> permanent document or policy.

	Since the other RIRs have adpoted policies based on this
	draft, it seems prudent to have ARIN do the same. I would
	hope that instead of the draft being referenced, that an ARIN
	local copy would be referenced instead.

> 2) This particular draft will have EXPIRED before the Board takes up the
> issue (Six months from a publication date of January 23, 2001 is July 23 or
> thereabouts).

	Yes, we have taken far too long in getting this done.

> 3) The authors are revising the document to reflect some important
> understandings about responsibility for administration of the bits to the
> left of the /48 dividing line, consistent with presentations made to the
> ARIN Public Policy meeting.  This draft does not reflect those changes.

	The proposed changes are significant enough that it obscures
	the inital premise, i.e. /48 is a good first cut. The IESG
	proposal is not based on operational experience but is a rough
	draft of what might be reasonable, after the experiences w/ the
	/48 have been collected. I beleive that we should consider the
	new IESG proposal in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year...
	AFTER we get the first policy in play.

> 4) There is a reasonable chance that a clean version will be available as
> an RFC before the ARIN Board meets.

	Not even. The RFC process is far too slow these days.