ARIN IPv6 Policy

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Mar 12 13:02:13 EST 2001

> > 	Why wait?  With the last proviso in place, we can let ARIN get on
> > 	with the process of getting v6 assets in play so we can gain
> > 	the Operational Experience needed to make sane recommendations.
> > 	Otherwise we wait on the IAB/IESG to "consider" away w/o any
> > 	operational feedback from ARIN. They will get it from APNIC & RIPE.
>
> you speak as if v6 address space was not being allocated by arin.  to the
> best of my knowledge, it is.

	To the best of my knowledge, ARIN is. But not according to
	the IAB/IESG guidelines. With the adoption of the IAB/IESG
	guidelines, ARIN will be aligned with the other registries.

> and, to the best of my knowledge, ripe and apnic are doing the same as arin
> is already.  but they are less inclined than you seem to be to jump without
> member discussion and consensus.

	RIPE & APNIC are delegating according to IAB/IESG guidelines.
	And the discussion on the v6wg list supports a consensus opinion
	that the IAB/IESG recommendations be adopted. This was considered
	by the ARIN AC and was sent to the Board. ARINs president just
	made the announcment that ARIN is adopting the IAB/IESG recommendation
	modulo operational experience. If you feel that ARIN should not
	adopt the IAB/IESG recommendations, please add your reasoned
	discussion to the list.