ARIN's IPv6 allocation policy

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Mon Mar 5 00:17:37 EST 2001

The ARIN AC had a teleconference meeting on February 15th.  At that meeting,
we made the following recommendation to the board:

Ron Roberts moved: The Advisory Council recommends to the Board of Trustees
that ARIN allocate IPv6 addresses according to the Internet Draft
<draft-iesg-ipv6-addressing-recommendations-00.txt>. This recommendation
will be regularly reviewed and modified subject to operational experience.

Barbara Roseman seconded the motion.  There was no further discussion.
A roll call vote was taken and the motion passed unanimously.

Allow me to summarize the discussion that the AC had that led up to this
recommendation:

In the discussion at the meeting, the AC was certainly aware of the
objections that have been raised to this policy.  However, the AC was unable
to reach a concensus on a different policy.  This is primarily due to the
fact that there is very little operational experience to go on with respect
to IPv6.  Therefore, the AC decided to explicitly recommend that ARIN keep
an active eye on the effects of this policy, and make appropriate changes as
operational experience dictates.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"