Closure?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Jan 29 15:28:33 EST 2001

> At 15:09 01/26/2001 -0500, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>
> >>  Bill Manning wrote:
> >>         Unless a viable counter proposal or modification to the existing
> >>IAB/IESG proposal that has been accepted by RIPE and APNIC, I'm going
> >>to recommend to the ARIN council that silence is consent and ARIN should
> >>adopt the IAB/IESG proposal for a /48 being the default delegation size,
> >
> >for any organisation. (obvious but just want to make sure...)
>

> Note quite.  As I understand it, Marc, a /48 would also be the standard
> allocation for a _home_ connection,
>
> Cheers,
> - Scott

Even better Scott. A careful reading of the recommendation supports my
statement above that for IPv6, "a /48 being the default delegation size"
does not discriminate "_home_ vs. _organization_"... its for any viable
request.  Now the requests must meet certain criteria before a delegation
will be processed and that seems to disuade profligrate delegations from
being made. A quick review of the online material seems to have a reasonable
"barrier" to entry.

--bill