IP Space

Bill Van Emburg bve at quadrix.com
Tue Oct 24 15:30:57 EDT 2000

Actually, I do question your numbers.  The last I heard, more sites on
the Internet were running Apache than anything else.  Your numbers
derive from an ill-defined subset of "the largest retail sites."  By
whose definition?

However, more to the point, while IIS numbers certainly *are*
vendor-specific, I disagree strongly with Mr. Lambert's statement, "I
think it is erroneous to hold policies to vendor-specific limitations."

I believe that any policy you set must account for the reality of what's
available (commercially and free) to the vast majority of web sites on
the Internet.  Setting a policy that can't be followed by users of
Apache, Netscape and IIS, for starters, is completely unreasonable, and
I would oppose such a policy vigorously.
--

				     -- Bill Van Emburg
				     	Quadrix Solutions, Inc.