Questions on IP Address policies

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Tue Aug 1 09:19:48 EDT 2000

Hello Lenis,

Please keep in mind our response to your message is made
without the knowledge of the specific Class B you are
referring to.

>If a company "owned" (or had been allotted) a class B since
>the early 90's, how is this classified by ARIN?

If it is still viewable via ARIN WHOIS we consider it a valid
registration to the organization name listed on the registration
record.

>In either case, if the company wanted to start sub-allocating
>(or assigning) these addresses to its customers, would it be
>able to do so without reclassifying the space?

IP addresses should be utilized in the manner they were justified.
It would be difficult for ARIN to answer this question further
without knowledge of the specific range of IP addresses you are
referring to. If you would like to correspond about this off
this public list, please send email to hostmaster at arin.net

>When does (if at all) ARIN consider taking space back from an
>organization?

ARIN doesn't have a specific policy at this time about "taking
back" IP address space, but if an organization is not utilizing
their IP addresses it would be good for them to return them.

>If the company assigns a subnet of its Class B to one of its
>customers, and the customer multi-homes with another ISP, will
>his subnet be diversly reachable through both the company's
>network and the other ISP whom he is multi-homed with?  In
>other words, will the Internet routing community advertise and
>accept routes that represent a partial Class B network.

This is not for ARIN to decide and is strictly up to the
policies of each individual ISP.

Regards,

Richard Jimmerson