April 1st

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Sat May 3 00:56:02 EDT 1997

@@@@@@@@ From the Cook Report...http://cookreport.com/

"Meanwhile the problem of the IANA authority has been
exacerbated by two events.  On April 1, 1997 DARPA allowed
its contract with ISI at USC that paid for most of the IANA activity
to expire.  This action rendered Tony Rutkowski's description of
IANA as "the name of an activity of the US government performed
under contract by the University of Southern California" moot.
On April 4 the Office of  General Counsel of the USC
sent a letter to NSI that stated that the functions that NSI had
been carrying out as a contractor for IANA had not been done
under the authority of ISI or USC, but only at the behest of the IANA,
acting on behalf of the consensual authority of the internet community
which NSI had chosen to accept. The conclusion seems to us
very clear. Faced with PGP's lawsuit against NSI, USC and ISI
have decided to run for cover.

When we sought clarification, Jon Postel advised us to go directly
to Robert Lane, the USC General Counsel. We did and got no
statement from the letter of April 4 to NSI, but rather one that
"the IANA function has been performed by ISI, through its
employee, Dr. Jon Postel, for quite some time." When we
pointed out that this statement seemed to contradict the
position of the letter of April 4, we received a very curt dismissal."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@   http://www.arin.net/arin_board.html

	Raymundo Vega Aguilar
	Randy Bush