Global council of registries???

Stephen Satchell satchell at ACCUTEK.COM
Fri May 2 20:58:11 EDT 1997

At 12:53 PM -0500 4/29/97, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:
>Stephen Satchell supposedly said:
>>
>> MIT should know how much address space they are using.  In a perfect world,
>> some of the early players would return a majority of the "free space" back
>> to the pool.  As for who decides:
>>

>Many early players have returned address space.  Large blocks in fact have
>been returned.
>
>> The owners do, under the audit of ARIN or whatever.
>>

>You want ARIN to be the IP address police?  My feeling about address
>assignment is very similar to building permits.  You have to go through the
>approval process and meet the current regulations, but one your building
>permit is granted then the government shouldn't be able to require you to
>rewire your house every few years as the wiring code change.

When I said "under the audit of ARIN or whatever" I'm talking about the
organization "checking in" the released numbers for future reallocation,
and making sure that the right numbers have indeed been released.  Nothing
could be worse than for some poor clerk type to miskey the returned address
block and adding to the mess instead of making it better.

Also, in line with some of the comments that have been on the list, the
actual address blocks returned for reallocation should be selected to avoid
causing routing problems.

Don't like the word "audit"?  Fine.
.

---
Stephen Satchell,{Satchell Evaluations, Motorola ISG}
http://www.accutek.com/~satchell for contact info
Opinions expressed are my own PERSONAL opinions.