ARIN is not/is too/is not/is too... blah.

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Sun Mar 30 01:40:28 EST 1997

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Michael Shields wrote:

> > I've been looking at getting a fixed IP address. Every ISP that I've
> > talked to that offers this that is a local call only offers a full
> > class C address block -- a full 256 addresses.
> >
> > What does this do to the cost? The cheapest charges $80 per month.

In most markets (at least where there are a few too many ISPs) you will
find some selling services much cheaper than most.  You may find that the
$80/month dedicated line and /24 happens to be from an ISP that has an
ISDN line to another ISP that also has an ISDN line to yet another ISP
that has a partial T1.  This is only a very slight exageration of some of
the ISPs in my area.  They don't charge much, but they don't offer much
either.  "You want news access?  Try this public NNTP server in [foreign
country of your choice]."

> Well, what you've just demonstrated is that there are economic
> pressures on ISPs to offer /32s (as responsible ones do).  Maybe no
> one in your area, but inevitably someone will.  *Especially* if the
> cost of an IPv4 address rises, as it will.

Or maybe all the ISPs in that area are trying to delagate as much address
space as possible in the hope of qualifying for a portable /19 from
Internic so they're not hand cuffed to their Net provider and can more
easily multihome when the time comes.