RE $50 Million NSF windfall??

John Curran jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM
Thu Mar 13 14:40:32 EST 1997

At 13:37 3/13/97, Jim Fleming wrote:

>You are a smart guy, please try to be objective.

I am trying to be objective, even to the point of engaging
in reasoned discourse with you despite the pleadings of
many mailing list readers to simply ignore your email.

I feel you may have the seed of an important idea in all
this, but I can't tell for sure since you fail to actually
respond on the topic whenever someone raises concerns with
your suggestions.

>Take any critical resource in the universe and look
>at how it is first distributed to regions of the world
>and then to groups of people that can manage
>the resources.
>
>You are trying to use the model of the diamond
>mines of South Africa and the Dutch distribution
>centers and the New York outlets.

Incorrect. I've advocated distribution of the allocation
structure as a desirable outcome on occasions.  The most
recent one was:

  - Actually, I prefer distributed solutions, and think we
  - can get there eventually.  The only real question seems
  - to be with respect to the topmost structure where I'd
  - like to see an entity which actually practices stewardship
  - of the IPv4 address space.

Please do not ascribe positions to me at random...

In the past, you've indicated that the technical concerns
raised were not a top priority and now you've failed to
address the very serious management concerns with your own
proposal.  If you should generate an updated proposal with
far more substance in these areas, I remain available to
review it.

/John

p.s. G'night all (three messages a day keeps procmail away... :-)